Thursday, April 14, 2011

Okay, my early tournament game is pretty good

In several games now, I've managed to gain the chip lead relatively effortlessly in the first two tables, then died somewhat early after the blinds got bigger.

My basic strategy has been simple - close to the button, call any suited connectors or any two high cards, unless there's a raise - the basic idea is to see a lot of flops. Now, after practically any flop, especially if you're heads-up, throw one raise at it. A lot of opponents fold right there. Throwing another raise after the turn is also good - most opponents fold there. So in total, you pay about 3x BB per hand you play. If your opponent has a strong hand, they often re-raise you.

... I think there's a flaw in that I'm not necessarily winning that much money - my biggest wins were when I had the nuts, or something very close, and others just threw themselves all in at me - I never risked going all in myself, since that's when I tend to bust out.

Ideally, one could be in most hand - say, if you only risked about 1/100th of your chips to see the flop. Then, you can just fold anything that doesn't hit something.

The problem is, I tend to end up short-stacked when the blinds start going up, and people from other tables begin replacing those who drop out in the table I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment