Thursday, April 7, 2011

I tend to ramble.

I prefer chips to cash, just because looking at money going up and down is a lot scarier than looking at chips. Also, the risk-reward ratio is potentially much better in tournaments - while one might, in four hours, turn one dollar into, oh, ten, in a tournament, there's a chance of turning that into seven hundred, for an example.

Of course, you can't beat the profit ratio of free tournaments.

My concentration doesn't really handle four hours too well... sure, you're mostly folding, but still, tracking position, chip stacks, play styles and whatnot is very helpful...

Regardless, I have a habit of either reading or watching something simultaneously... while it does keep the stress levels down, it does distract me just a bit, which worsens my chances.

Sometimes, I write blog posts, too.

So yeah, currently playing a $250 freeroll, in which I usually do ridiculously badly. They typically have more than ten thousand participants, which means they're really long, meaning I've never gotten within top 100, and I've often failed to reach top-1000, even.

There are two reasons for this, first being the aforementioned issue with concentration. The second is that my cowardly nature has a tendency to resurface, and the fact that to make it to top ten, you need around 30 million chips. That's a lot of chips to gather.

Hmm.

Some newbieish bad habits I retain:

  • Paying just to see follow-up cards
  • Trying to scare people off winning hands with a badly-timed raise
  • Not listening to my intuition. I sometimes seem to have nearly supernatural intuition regarding what's going on in the table. It's probably just subconscious pattern recognition, but it feels pretty cool when it works. 
  • Missing opponent's flushes, straights and full houses way too often.
Update: Finished at position 3352. I tried to figure out if a high-stack opponent trying to put me all-in was bluffing or not, but I only figured he didn't have AJ, so I didn't put him on a set of threes. 

I did some experimentation regarding my intuition. It seems to work relatively well when I'm absolutely calm. When I get even a bit excited, it goes out of the window. 

No comments:

Post a Comment