Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thinking of Some Simple Heuristics

Uppercase words again? What's up with that?
It seemed more like a title that way, I guess?

I need to keep the starting hands listed in Wikipedia I referred to in an earlier post in mind, constantly. It makes me a better player. Otherwise I keep playing crap - or at least semi-crap - hands a lot more.

Even a small raise, such as 2x blinds is enough of a psyochological block to wean out non-confident players. A large raise after the river card can scare off a lot of people, too.... Of course, recognizing people's playing habits IS rather necessary for that to work reliably... and when one's scared, it's hard to change that on a whim.

So... I only play hands listed, for the most part, or if there's no ante and blinds are small. Stealing blinds is  important once they get big enough, but at, oh, 1/20th of stack, not really an issue.

Most of the time, I aim to either raise or fold, since I need to be either winning, or cutting my losses and running.

My biggest losses come from miscalculating a situation and betting big when I _think_ I have the best hand, but really... don't.

I also lose quite often when I have a good hand but must avoid All In on tournaments - I lose most All Ins, and the ones I haven't were where I had about 90% winning chance after the flop.

Sometimes I disregard my instincts and call something I pretty much know I'll lose, because I just have to see. That's less than fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment