Thursday, March 24, 2011

Concentrate!

As much as I like tournaments, I only really do well if I focus on them rather intently, If I watch High Stakes or read a book at the same time, or so --- I may still end up in the top 10%-20% - but that's not good enough when there may be thousands of participants. Also, I'll be ignorant of the playing style of the players in my table, and that matters a whole lot. A big pre-raise gets wasted, if the chip leader is All-In happy.

So, to win, I stare. It's very draining. There's also a risk I get over-excited and start playing bad hands.

In any case, I've done terribly in most cash-reward games, usually dying on a stupid all-in call, sometimes wasting significant chip lead on bad play just before - I have issues with long-term endurance and concentration, but improving those is one of the benefits of playing poker...

Note to self, I need to write a post about the mental and behavioral benefits of playing Texas Hold'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment