Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Free Tournaments

Are awesome. Also, damn hard! My best result thus far was 161st position.
Today, I've already dropped out of one $50 Freeroll one early on, totally my fault. I wasn't playing particularily badly, just a bit too riskily in the short term. I'm trying to learn Negreanu's Small Ball Poker, and I tried it out a bit --- a bit too much when I had a mediocre stack compared to the stack leader.

I think, sitting out most of the early play unless you have a Tier 1 or 2 hand (as per Wikipedia) is probably a good idea, as there seems to be a lot of reckless people who go all-in pre-flop constantly.

Oh, yeah - the poker jargon - I'll just link you to Wikipedia, again. I'm a bit fuzzy on it myself, at this point. In any case, my basic strategy is to play some mediocre cards, not bet too much, and to try to bluff pretty often after the flop, if there's an obvious potential in the flop.

Still, at my skill level, it's best if I just play really tight - I wonder how high could I go if I just avoided all but the blinds, and just folded anything but those - with the exception of Tier 1s, I guess - would be a shame not to try out if I happen to get AA or suited AK....

I'm currently playing on Bankroll Builder $100 Freeroll tournament, which has reward from position 50 up. Basically, if I just survive that long, I should get something... so, I'll try only playing top hands and blinds until blinds get so large I must get more aggressive.

So:

  • Only play top tier hands outside blinds
  • When playing, user Small Ball tactics
  • Most importantly, SURVIVE.
I'll be logging here.
23:12 - I tried to play with JJs, but failed. Got hit by a pair of queens. Same failure as last game, tried calling too risky a bet when the possibility of QQ was way high. Stupid me.
23:14 - AJ unsuited. Flop was a pair of queens. Folded, stack down to 220.
23:16. Folded BB, losing 60, played SB, got back to 220. 
23:18. AGAIN I had a pair, and played, and the opponent went all in, forcing me to do so too. That's the third time. I clearly overvalue getting a pair in hole cards. Finished 971/1630. Lame.

Oh well, next tournament in 37 minutes. Think I'll take a nap 'til then.

No comments:

Post a Comment